I may regret posting this but it’s so darn perfect! I may not wake up tomorrow but oh where has this video been my whole life?
My brother (as well as you other awesome peeps) make some very valid points in the comments section, but to properly respond I’ll respond here.
Steinar Andersen said …. “Erik, these aren't personal attacks. This is a conversation (please take it as such). The pusher can be moved at any time, hence my opinion. I think staying at Blackhawk (at one park), is something I would never do. I also have a 90 foot driveway to keep my trailer at, whereas you have a small driveway. If you want to just stay in 1 place, then take the 5th wheel. If you think 1 year of warranty (with a 15 year loan) is worth it, then go for it. Again, it's your life. I just know you.... and my gut sez that the Diesel Pusher is what you'd be happy with over the "long term". If you get the 5th wheel, I suggest you get an inexpensive Dodge or Ford truck with a diesel (that is about 8 to 10 years old so you can move it on occasion). Again, your choice. You've been pining for a Diesel Pusher for 4 years and you are within reach of one now. If the price is 750 a month, forget about it. If less (closer to 550), I can't imagine you not going for that. But then again, as I said before... its your life. All I can do is offer my opinion.....
Steinar – I never took anything anybody said as personal attack(s), I’m confused to why you would think that, I asked for opinions and I’m open to them, I just think you missed some of my points or we both did.
Let me take your points one at a time and I’ll explain hopefully better than I did before.
1. Regarding being at one place, we purchased the deck and shed for our spot pretty much ensuring we would be mostly one place. We like Blackhawk and I feel we have made that pretty well known, we both know I like to go different places but sometimes we don’t get all that we are hoping for. I’ll give up traveling for a few years until we can afford a truck What I’ll miss the most, is our Halloween trips to Geneseo, maybe we’ll rent a truck for that.
A 5th Wheel is much better suited in fact perfectly suited for sitting in one place, no matter what we can both agree NO motorhome is good at that and if we bought the Pusher I would do as I always do and take it for drives to keep everything working well, you know me I have OCD/ADD, basically everything ending in a D, I have, it will look better in 10 years than it does now.
2. Warranty, I think this one you missed twice so I’ll make it more clear. We aren’t settling for a 1 year warranty but even if we were my response is heck yes, brand new with a full warranty is something important. So much so we will be making sure it has a 5 year warranty that covers everything.
3. Yes, I, let’s make that clear I in BOLD, prefer the diesel pusher, since this isn’t just for me I have to take Ronda’s opinion in this very seriously because she is the one who does the cooking and we have family over much more than we have in the past. I have to think about what works best. Entertaining people goes much better when you have more room and we both know the Fiver rules in this department. The only Pusher I have found (this Newmar) that is good enough for me to want to buy (can afford) has zero warranty and 85,000 miles, the miles don’t matter but I don’t have a slush fund for repairing something as expensive as a full on top of the line Pusher and this Newmar cost $340,000 when it was new, I can’t afford to take that chance after thinking about it for over a full week now. Maybe that will change when we take a closer look.
You know me, I buy first, think second, for the first time I am going over every aspect top to bottom and my gut and my brain for the first time are saying the same thing, my heart disagrees but the heart doesn’t have to be right. Having said that, we will be looking over the Newmar, who knows maybe Ronda will have a change of opinion, we’ll see.
4. Here is a great bit of news, the re-finance of our house is going to free up funds that we are going to put into savings for a truck in the future if it goes to the 5th wheel this weekend. I find it highly unlikely it will be an 8 or 10 year old truck, you know me so you know this won’t happen. It will be newer, with a full warranty, but we have 2 seasons to think about and save for it. The dealer will move the 5th Wheel for us to the campground and storage if we need to move it later. Also the campground can move it for us if needed.
5. At this point after negotiating with DCU and the dealer I have the Newmar within $48.00 a month of the 5th Wheel, if that doesn’t tell you how hard I have been working at this nothing will, it started at $200.00 a month higher!
6. Why not go with a straight regular trailer, um no…
7. Ok, there were other points, too tired to get into them, I just hope this long drawn out post clears things up a little. We are buying what works best for us and we are working hard on making the right decision, all of everybody's input has been very valuable and we thank you all for it..
Last, let me explain a little (I know, too late!!) why I am ok with not getting the Newmar if we go with the 5th Wheel.
Paint checking, the 2001 Newmar has the full body paint package, this means even the slides are painted on the walls that retract into the RV, it really is beautiful but I also know if the checking isn’t repaired it can get ugly and bad pretty quick, which means expensive, admittedly this gives me great pause and selfishly is a huge reason why I’m going to be very open to the 5th Wheel this Saturday.
Speaking of the 5th Wheel here it is, since this post has gotten so huge why not add some pictures right? This model has 1.5 bathrooms, one of which is huge and the other is off the kitchen This is truly full time capable, I find the main bathroom a bit large, might be taking away from family room space, we’ll see this Saturday when we look at it.
Under the TV is a desk that slides out, perfect for me to work at.
Full sized refrigerator.
Large kitchen island.
Upstairs bathroom, see reflection, the bathroom is bigger than the one in my house! A sink for her and a sink for me!
Queen sized bed I believe.
Large closet with a hamper that angles out.