Thursday, April 12, 2012

Neighborhood Rules

I read “Retired Rod’s” post titled “Nope, not an RV in sight!!” and it reminded me of our situation. I am also an Amateur Radio Operator or HAM as we like to be called. I recently sold my Icom 746Pro and 2KW amplifier (I couldn’t use the amp with my Tech license) to pay some bills but there was more to it than that. Our neighborhood has restrictions much like a Condo association, minus the association and Condo’s! No outside antennas allowed!

We live in a single family subdivision and when we bought the house we weren’t told there was a huge book of “association type rules” to abide by. For instance, no fence, no shed, no amateur radio antennas, no working on the car in the street or driveway, no RV’s allowed in the driveway and no RV’s allowed to be stored anywhere on the property etc.. etc.. etc.. did we get a copy of this rule book? No, but the town claims it exists and they “enforce the rules”.

I can see a rule against painting your house neon pink and neon green or something like that but I can’t wash my own car in my own driveway? Come on you’ve got to be kidding me! I’m guessing they save the rules enforcement for people who go over the edge because there are fences everywhere, sheds, RV’s and everybody works on their cars or washes their cars in their driveways and why shouldn’t they? I have never seen anybody bring home a dilapidated RV like the one in “Christmas Vacation” where cousin Eddie used the sewer to drain the sh*tter!                 

Or heck maybe something worse like this! Disappointed smile Doh!

2917986132_7e462da6ba

Just imagine the possibilities!! Smile with tongue out

Capture

How about these parked next door?

venice%20rv%20graf-thumb-480x370

White-RV-Los-AngelesCA

Pace-Arrow-RV-Los-Angeles-CA

Ford-Econoline-Venice-CA

Beige-RV-Los-AngelesCA

White-RV-Los-Angeles-CA

White-RV-Venice-CA

These pictures are from people complaining about these rigs being parked in front of their house(s) in Venice California. If you haven’t heard about that situation check out this Google search.

Ok, I got carried away when I found all of these, I digress.

This last year they relaxed the rules so if you own an RV it can be parked in the driveway during the summer season but it has to be stored elsewhere in the winter. This rule doesn’t matter for us, our rig is 12ft longer than the driveway!

This picture is 12 years old but shows how short our driveway is.

P5230370

The house next door to the left (west) of us is abandoned so we use that driveway when we need to work on the rig quickly or have the RV overnight like when I worked on it last fall to fix the floor.

Of course, our neighbor called the police the first time we brought it home because it was a “suspicious vehicle” Disappointed smile even though we told everybody it would be there and they saw me walking into and out of it. Some people have nothing better to do I guess and we didn’t talk to them for months after they pulled that one.

Ronda brought up a good point, our RV is 36ft long, it blocks the entire neighbors driveway when it’s there which means the view in the direction is blocked as well. This can put people off and I understand that, however, if our driveway was long enough I would not hesitate keeping the rig at home, it’s our property and if the property was big enough to handle the RV, we should be able to do so.

Our ultimate goal is to sell this house, downsize and buy a house further west that has some property where we can keep the RV until we retire. Maybe not this RV of course but which ever one we end up with when the time comes.

Until next time, have a great day everybody!

8 comments:

Merikay said...

Our Alfa is at home and Craig is retired. Now all we have to do is sell the house.

JO said...

Some times neighbors and hoods are a pain in the neck. But if you don't want to live in a ghetto then I guess we need the rules but sometimes they get carried away.

Bob said...

I mentioned this on Rod's blog yesterday, but our RV would fit nicely on our driveway, but it was mostly a pain in the rear to have it there. We kept it stored about a 10 minute drive away.
We could keep it on the driveway if need be, and none of our neighbours would have ever uttered a peep. It's that whole "pot calling the kettle black" thing. There is a "by-law" about that one too, but there are "by-laws" everywhere it seems.
There's been many a time when I could have called the cops when I saw "suspicious activity" within eyesight of my front door. Mostly though, it was people just being people. No...gun play, or fist fights. But maybe a low rider or two. And if you have a good enough imagination, that could be "suspicious" I suppose. But why bother?
Your neighbour needs to have the cops or animal control pay them a couple visits. Then they can find out what kind of an annoyance that can be.
Oh and, a couple of those RVs are actually kind of awesome. Most of them could use a good coat of paint however.
That first one is "unique". Just could have used a little more attention to detail. Interesting concept though. Until it rains of course!

Erik's RV Blog said...

Bob - Agreed, and I love old RV's however none of these would be appreciated in the neighborhood.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have 25 seasonal sites that are used to store and camp in. These are my favorite campers! Of course, I should mention that should someone pull in and inquire about a site in one of the examples you shared ....... I would have no space!!

Kevin Read said...

You live in a "free demorcatic" country and you pay property taxes so why shouldn't you be able to park and RV in your driveway, if it was long enough or have an outdoor antenna?

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Erik's RV Blog said...

Merikay - I hear ya, I wish we were in that position!

JoJo - Agreed, it's so difficult to determine.

Kathy - Agreed and I wish everybody could just go where they wish and enjoy life but its not tht simple right?

Kevin and Ruth - The town we live in believes that outdoor antennas are ugly, it doesn't seem to matter what we think. :(

TexCyn said...

I never want to live in a community that is so strict like that. I was fortunate that I was able to keep my RV at my home down at the bay. And very lucky that there are not any restrictions where I am now either.
Interesting pics on those old RV's, but I think I could "smell" some of them...