Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Windows 95 Networking SOLVED!

Well, trying to make Windows 95/98 work with the new network was clearly about as successful as Healthcare.gov but at 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% less cost to figure out plus my resolution actually works! Winking smile

To the rescue Vmware! I knew I could do this from the get go but who wants a security risk on the network? Not me but since this is Windows 95/98 that risk is there no matter what, so deal with it and move on damn the torpedoes!

I created a new virtual machine on the new server, installed Windows XP Pro onto a 20gig partition, throw 2 cores and 1gig of memory at it and then turn on file sharing which in XP is basically setting up a “home style” network, it’s available to all and it worked perfectly and file access is so fast you can’t tell the machine copied a file! It averaged 100 Megabytes per second, simply awesome.  Both Windows 95 and 98 see it perfectly, of course and since this is on the virtual machine I can mask it in the login script.

The full transition from 1999 IBM Pentium II relic to 2012, 12 cores, 48gigs of memory DL380 G6 is like going from a 10 speed bike to a 750hp Shelby Mustang. I’m stoked to get this completed and I know my friend is as well. The next problem is figuring out how to transition the Windows 95/98 machines to Windows XP or Windows 7, that parts easy but they also have to control a Beam Saw and a CNC so I have a call out to the company that made the software, we’ll see what they say.

4 comments:

Ronda said...

See!! I knew you could do it! I had total faith in you! Glad you got it taken care of hon. ;-)

Erik's RV Blog said...

It worked out very well thanks hon, now I just have to make sure the Windows XP VM doesn't BSOD... :)

Big Matt said...

Just remember to install the VMware driver bundle and it should be good, especially if its xp sp3 ;).

Erik's RV Blog said...

Dat was da foist ting I did. :)