Monday, November 15, 2010

How Much Info To Put Online?

Recently I completed from beginning to end the “living in my car” blog from Jennifer and also the “RV-Adventure of Margie and Roger”. Both started from living in a home, deciding to become full timers and then doing so. Jennifer was gracious enough to even post her debts which for me is more than I can do at this time. So, my question is my DW and I want to also become full timers some day but do we chronicle our debt and the progress to eliminating it online?

It’s a tough question, so many people have gotten into trouble at work or with their families because of what they post online. It’s something to ponder for sure because it would be nice to be able to look back and see the progress but do we want that information public? I suppose I could make the blog private again and make it so just the wife and I see it. If you’re out there and reading this, let me know what you think, ok?

Check out both blogs as well, they are great reads!

3 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

I have had an online presence for close to 15 years, first professionally and then personally.

I got a PO Box for correspondence and secondary email addresses. I never listed my phone number. I did all I could to protect my personal space.

When my husband was diagnosed with cancer, our life online became a bit more personal. I shared his journey to help others. He passed in 2004 and I still get requests to use photos that we shared.

Most of my personal online life was spent in forums and I have been fortunate to meet many of the folks as I traveled.

Now that we full-time, we hand out business cards with our mail forwarding address, both cell phones, email addresses and blog. Still nothing to worry about.

We have a SPOT personal locator, we use it to let family know we are okay. We also post our location on our website. We've never worried about someone stalking us, never been an issue. LOL!

As to personal financial information, I just don't see any reason to publicize that. We will publish what we are spending on developing our land because we feel it will be of interest to others wanting to do the same. There are many sites out there with personal monthly budgets for full-timers, I don't see any reason to add ours.

You do what you are comfortable with...think about it this way, five years from now will posting xxx make any difference? And what is the worse that can happen...?

Erik's RV Blog said...

Donna,

Excellent advice, thanks.

Erik

Margie and Roger said...

I've been a blogger, as you know, since 2004 and never had a stalker or any problem. My husband isn't too wild about how much info I post and will sometimes say, "I burped...I suppose you will blog about that". (I haven't YET).

When we were considering going full-time I enjoyed reading what others were posting about their expenses. No way were we going to make a dramatic lifestyle change like selling everything we own without having some idea of what our expenses would be. Since I benefited from what others had posted, I decided to post our budget and expenses to share with others as well. I have not and will not post our income or current assets (or lack thereof, ha ha)...mainly because my husband wouldn't like that idea. Since everyone has different financial data (pensions, 401k, CD's, social security, disability payments, weathly relatives, ha ha) I only see benefit in showing expenses anyway.

Having said all that, I think it would be great if you were able to post your debt reduction plan because it would make for interesting reading for others who have the same dreams. (I started ours prior to going full-time and I keep one titled "Worth" updated monthly so I can determine how much we are gaining or losing in our new lifestyle.)

A blog www.livinginmycar.blogspot.com provides some general info about her debt reduction plan.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and plugging it on yours! Looks like you made the decision to have an "RVing" blog.