We are at a decision point, one that is hard to make… let me back up and explain. Back in 2010 we decided to buy an RV, we called our mortgage company and accepted their terms, not my wife's fault, I take full blame for it. The rate I signed for is 14%, there were at the time what I considered good reasons, many of them we are paying for and will have them cleared in about 2 more years. Had I been smart I would have called my credit union, I found out why we were denied by every bank the RV dealer tried, get this….
THEY THOUGHT WE OWNED 4 CARS! Now, you would think their banks would ask for clarification but like I said, it’s a sellers market right now and they simply said no. I very much want to get out from under that 14% because at that rate we have gone the last 6 months (example time period) what we owe on the Endeavor hasn’t dropped much. I knew if we could get that Mountain Aire 4095 at 5.47% with a cost of $69,995 we would end up paying more in the end for our cheaper Endeavor.
I had an epiphany yesterday and called my credit union, they called back and explained we are escalating our debt by adding 2 more new cars on top of our old ones. It took about 10 minutes to explain we traded in our cars a few months ago. With that cleared up she gave me an instant approval for $60,000. That doesn’t get everything worked out however, the best rate they will give is 8.47% over 10 years… they will go to 15 years on a new RV but the only new RV’s in our price range are Fifth Wheels and Travel Trailers.
EDIT: I just got off the phone with them, they have now offered 70k over 15 years for the 2001 Mountain Aire!! They will go to 72k if they have to! The reason they are willing to be so flexible is because the Mountain Aire books for almost 100k and we have great credit and maybe because I beg pretty well, not sure.
So here is the difficult decision, buy a new Fifth Wheel or try like hell to buy the used Mountain Aire. The Mountain Aire is in fantastic shape however the dark painted stripe is starting to check, so that will have to be addressed, it also comes with no warranty since we have squeezed the dealer so thin on the price.
We could buy a Fifth Wheel however once it’s delivered to the Blackhawk campground it will be staying there until we pay somebody to move it, we don’t own a truck. This isn’t a problem I suppose if we don’t plan to go to other places. The plus side, it would be new, come with a warranty and would have a lot of space. They don’t come with a generator however. Also, the slides are huge and might get too close to our neighbors tree, if so we’ll have to move our deck, which would be interesting.
The Mountain Aire gives us freedom to go where we please, it has the Hydro Hot system so there is no furnace or hot water tank, the negatives for that one are it’s 40ft and will be a challenge for the length of our driveway at our site. I don’t want to buy an RV to fit a site, I want to buy one that fits our lifestyle. The AS IS and maintenance aspect are negatives as well, the ability to drive away is a big plus… so what to do?
We have submitted our paperwork and have an approval for… another EDIT: the dealer just texted me, they think they might be able to do the deal for 72k out the door. I’m going to have a heart attack over this.
Our next step is to go to the dealer and here is the good thing, if a deal can’t be done with them we can take our approval and go someplace else. We’ll see… I need some coffee…
2001 Mountain Aire 4095 floor plan
2013 Keystone Montana 3900FB