Monday, November 19, 2012

Two Sides To Every Story – Hostess And……

My initial reaction to the Hostess debacle was oh great, another union caused problem. I try and seek out both sides of the story so when I found that management at Hostess got as much as 80% raises along with bonuses I start to see what's really going on.

I’m not an avid supporter of modern union’s, I have been picketed for not hiring union electricians for the simple task of plugging in a server in Chicago. This was in the late 90’s but it hasn’t changed, in fact they’ll pump up that inflatable rat for anything that they feel has offended them. I have other reasons as well but that’s for another day.

However, when a company makes demands of employees to accept pay cuts, benefit cuts AFTER giving management raises and bonuses I can see where the union could have an issue with that.

I still don’t know the whole story, there are articles at conservative sites that are clearly slanted towards the company and liberal sites giving their slant towards the union, shocker right?

Both sides claim they’re after the truth, really, if that were the case then they would both discuss how greedy management is and how greedy the union is and then maybe come to a consensus on what can be done so the company stays in business. How silly would that be?

This is how our elections work as well, two sides completely incapable of seeing the other sides points, completely incapable of wanting to discuss anything without agendas getting in the way. During the election season both sides offer spin, neither side offers substance and we because of our own agendas vote for who ever promises the most knowing damn well he will likely not do a damn thing he promised.

Hostess demands union employees buckle under and take the hit, the people who helped cause the problem can’t see that they are part of the problem. The union thinks that who ever buys the pieces will hire the union, which is one heck of a gamble considering who is drooling over the parts over in Mexico.

I have no clue how to fix this, in fact I think it will get far worse before it gets better…. just thought I would vent  because I see two sides at fault… status quo… that’s all I’ve got… brain just went blank…

6 comments:

Merikay said...

It will end when we are the third world country. Our wages abd benifits will be cut and cut out. Cheap labor, and poor people.

Beggards in the street. They can't all be vetrans. But they will hold signs that say "god bless".

It is all part of his plan, don't you know.

Bob said...

It seems a bankruptcy judge (I think that was the title) has sent both sides back to the "bargaining table", instead of allowing Hostess to simply go out of business.
So Twinkies might be saved for at least a few weeks.

Wanderin' said...

There are two sides and both sides with blinders. In their time unions did a lot of good. However, in this time they certainly have put more than Twinkie out of business. I'm assuming they need the management left to shut down the business where the workers can walk away easier. Who knows the real truth? I think it's something in the middle.

Sunny said...

Hi Erik, (I left a comment on your last post as well) I think big corporate stuff is beyond our means to do anything about anymore, except voice our opinions where we can in what pertains to our own work situations. Things are definitely out of control. Another example of too much govn't interferrence is just this.... not "allowing" Hostess to go out of business if they so choose. Yes, it stinks, but it is not a "government " company. I think if the govn't kept its hands off, the slow pain of it all would be over quicker, and this nation could get back to healing! JMHO

Karen and Al said...

Regardless whether the company was mismanaged or not, the bottom line is that 18,000 people will be out of work when they declare bankruptcy. If I were to buy that company, I sure don't think I'd hire the union workers back.

Erik's RV Blog said...

Karen and Al - Agreed 100%