Saturday, September 17, 2011

This Is Gross Part 2…

Well, clearly I didn’t get it all when I wiped up the goop that had formed while in storage for a week. You can see what I missed grew into a golf ball sized “growth” of disgusting ick in less than 7 days.

IMAG0222

This is what it looked like when I broke it off the wall. Along the line where the grout meets the tile and the wall to the right you can see a black line. This isn’t visible when you look but the flash brought it out for sure. If you try to spray cleaner it literally blows more black powder around so I am lucky I had mold control spray with me so I sprayed the areas around it and delicately cleaned it all up.

IMG_0385

I then scrubbed the entire floor and wiped everything down and like an idgit forgot to take an after picture. Trust me, it looks much better but I still want to take some real strong stuff and go over it again on Sunday.

I really wish I knew where this came from, I’m thinking when I removed the tiles, spores were released and there may have been water from the sprayer in the affected area where conditions were right for it to grow like crazy into that slimy mess and then into that golf ball sized bag of yuck in less than a week.

Whatever the cause, I have cleaned that bathroom and plan on doing so again Sunday. No way this is going to happen again.

Next project is going to be replacing the bathroom floor, that should be interesting. Finding the time to do it will be as well, maybe while I’m there Sunday I’ll rip up the rest of the floor and see what there is to see.

Until next time have a great weekend everybody!

8 comments:

Sue and Doug said...

that is just plain nasty Erik!..eww...good luck with the clean up!!!..it is like the mold is 'alive'!!

Travels with Emma said...

Oh my! I've never seen anything like that. Good luck.

michael ultra said...

Erik,
I think it is some sort of puffball fungus full of spores. Weird stuff. Thanks for your last comment. I appreciate you.

Merikay said...

Spore are in the air, and once the conditions are right they can grow. Be sure to wear a mask as you clean.

I would see if you can find an "expert" to give you advice about this one.

Yes you will need to replace the floor, but what about taking down the paneling and replacing the insulation between the walls. An RV is such a confined place, perhaps getting a hepa filter air purifier and running it in there 24/7 might remove some of the airborn contamination.

Keep us posted.

Wasn't that MH supposed to be fun and relaxing?
I keep thinking "what have WE gotten into!"

Nan said...

what a challenge....good luck in getting rid of it....

JoJo said...

YUCK! I sure hope it doesn't come back. But that looked like the wall and ceiling. Is that it? Then maybe Merikay is right and the walls maybe wet under the shower wall.

Diana said...

You have changed your blog format to Sci-Fi Erik! I think you probably right about the mold spores. Don't forget the bleach water. Love Di ♥

Big Matt said...

Man that is just downright nasty, it looks like you've got moisture in that wall....