Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bronchitis & Flu & Mold?

Since last Tuesday (9/13/11) I have been down with a dual power packed combo of fun, Bronchitis and the Flu. I haven’t been this sick in decades but thankfully it’s not pneumonia! I’ve been taking amoxicillin, NyQuil, Mucinex and my Diabetes medications so it’s been an interesting 9 days. Only been to work for 2 of them which for me is not easy.

Thankfully I can do almost all of my work from home but on a few days I was too out of it to do anything so I unplugged completely. I NEVER unplug so imagine my wife’s surprise when I didn’t log onto my computer last Wednesday.

Thankfully this morning I made it more than 10 minutes without a coughing spasm, mark the event! I do have to wonder if the fungus or mold or whatever it was somehow made me sick. My doctor wasn’t in and the very young doctor who was there still had braces on, barely out of school so when I explained to him what I found in the RV he looked back at me like a deer caught in headlights, he was clueless but stated no, it wasn’t possible. I don’t believe him, he looked too confused to believe.

Today I am working a bit and trying to listen to my wife and take it easy and recoup. I fully plan on being at work tomorrow, I need sleep before then but I’m going to work on that today.

This Saturday I have to be well enough to go pick up the RV tech in Harvard, IL and drive him to Cherry Valley where the RV is. He may attempt the repair on Saturday so the rig can be ready for next weekend. We plan on using the RV near my wife’s parents house so we can be near when her father has his chest opened to repair an aneurysm near his heart.

I believe the rig is mold free, at least on exposed surfaces so even if we don’t repair the floor this weekend I am going to cover the floor well enough so nobody touches the wood floor in the toilet room. I am hoping however that Mike (the RV tech) can repair the toilet room floor by Sunday.

I’ll post an update when I know more this weekend.

Note to Diana at “Welcome to my world”, get better soon! Smile

11 comments:

Judy and Emma said...

Hope you are feeling better real soon!

Nan said...

Hope you can get some good rest and feel better very soon.

Laura said...

Mould can be very scary so be careful!

Gypsy Boho said...

Hi Erik, I too had a problem with mold in my home a few years back. I didn't discover the problem until 2 years after a storm had caused water to enter my living room. Once everything dried out I forgot about the incident.

Then I started having problems with my lungs and went to the doctor. We eventually figured out what the problem was and she told me that I would have to leave my home until it was free of the mold. She said that I would have to get rid of all material objects. I had my house "cleaned" by professionals (for $1000)and continued to live in it against doctor's orders.

The mold had started to grow through the sheet rock wall and that's when we found the affected area. However, the air transported the spores through the AC vents and there were colonies even growing on my ceiling fans upstairs.

This is a living thing and it was freaky watching it grow. And on top of all that this is what was growing in my lungs. I got to the point that I had to sit after only slight exertion. The doctor said that in time my lungs would clear if I was no longer exposed to the mold. Eventually my lungs did clear up and I'm OK now.

I did extensive research on the Internet and found the one chemical that was recommended to kill the mold. After searching shelves at the different stores for a mold killer with this chemical, I finally found it in... TILEX. I cut a hole in the sheet rock and poured a couple of bottles of Tilex and a couple of gallons of Clorox down into the afftected area. I treated this area several times and no longer have a mold problem.

I now keep a bottle of Tilex handy just in case.

Hope you fix your problem and get well soon.

Diana said...

Awww Erik, you are so thoughtful, thank you! And yes I do believe it's possible to get sick from the mold. My husband is very allergic to it and has COPD as well. He will get very sick with bronchitis if he's exposed too long to it.
I hope you get to feeling better before Saturday. It will be a long day if not.
Prayers for your father in law. I hope all goes well for him. Give Ronda an extra hug for me.
Love Di ♥

Merikay said...

My thoughts are with you. I hope you recover very quickly. Sleep well.

Sue and Doug said...

hope you feel better soon!!!!

JoJo said...

Get better soon Erik.

Phyllis said...

Mold is definitely nothing to mess around with. Our 5 y/o granddaughter has lots of allergies - including mold. Last summer we took her to our cabin in north central PA. The water heater had leaked causing wet carpet and mold was crawling up a wall. I bleached it and cleaned it good. However by midnight, granddaughter had bad asthma attack. Could hardly breathe. She and hubby slept in truck that night and we then left.

Sure hope you have your problem resolved.

Rick and Paulette said...

Hope you feel better soon. I went through a mini bit of what you are suffering from last week and it was no fun that's for sure. Rest is the only cure it seems.

Blogger said...

Get daily ideas and methods for generating $1,000s per day ONLINE for FREE.
GET FREE ACCESS TODAY