Good news is, the leaks look to be fixed, bad news is, they found some rotted wood that they are investigating to see how bad it is. I’ll know more on Monday. This just looks like it’s never going to end.
As for the warranty, no update there, the dealer hasn’t responded yet but Collier has been very responsive and helpful. But if the original dealer doesn’t respond we have to play the waiting game and see what card he plays.
We thought about trading it in on something else but really, who’s to say that one won’t be perfectly sealed but mechanically has issues? We’ll see what happens this coming week, I’m trying to think positive and hopefully something positive will happen.